The Manager, Data Center Operations provides direction and leadership to the resources in the Data Center Operations department to provide enterprise-wide support for Weis Markets Inc. Data Center Operations needs.
The Manager, Data Center Operations is accountable for the creation and maintenance of Data Center Operations strategies, processes and tools.
The Manager, Data Center Operations will work with the IT Functional departments and Business departments to create and manage the execution of jobs that run either automated from a scheduler application or manually by data center resources.
The Manager, Data Center Operations will be accountable for the quality and accuracy of work output, and the tracking, escalation of issues to IT Leadership.
The Manager, Data Center Operations is required to perform all tasks in a safe and secure manner consistent with corporate policies and applicable laws.
The Manager, Data Center Operations will act as the afterhours on-call resource for responding to any issues within the data center and managing the investigation, mitigation, and recovery of issues
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure compliance with Data Center Operations Governance Processes
- Direct Oversight of Data Center Operations resources
- Ensure Data Center Operations resources are properly trained to use the necessary tools and processes
- Establish standards and metrics for the Data Center Operations department that align to the maturity level of the people, processes and tools with goals to drive Continuous Improvement
- Ensure manual, semiautomatic and automatic Data Center runbooks are updated and maintained by responsible IT functional departments
- Support Separation of Duties between Development teams and Data Center Operations by executing processes and procedures to promote code changes to production environments
- Maintain advanced expertise and awareness of trends in Data Center Operations processes used by the team, identify improvements and updates as needed, and redesign workflows to optimize functionality and enhance performance
- Aligns resource plans to the prioritized portfolio of projects and small work request in support of solutions and deliverables
- Reviews and validates changes that require Data Center Operations processes prior to being implemented into production
- Conducts regular 1-on-1 meetings, builds development plans and executes performance reviews for Data Center Operations resources
- Daily review of processing logs and alerts to assure application continuation
- Monitor and redesign, as necessary, of backups and procedures to assure quality assurance of data in support of Disaster Recovery Planning
- Vendor management of maintenance agreements that include but not limited to printers, uninterruptable power supplies (Battery Back-Ups), select computer hardware and data center HVAC units
- Accountable for the development of Data Center Operations strategies and plans
- For work that Data Center Operations is engaged, ensures that test scenarios and test cases are created and executed that exercise all components of deliverables prior to implementation into production
- Effectively and efficiently manage the CapEx and OpEx budget and expenditures
- Must be comfortable in leading meetings and driving consensus
- Must be comfortable with a constantly changing environment
- Track and order consumables for the data center
- Ensure necessary preventative maintenance is scheduled and executed on a periodic basis and that all work performed within the space is done to high quality standards, adheres to contracted SLAs and does not impact business processes
- Coordinate with different vendors and all internal stakeholders for power down or scheduled maintenance events
- Participate as a primary project stakeholder for strategic initiatives
- Receives general direction from and reports to the Director, Technical Services.
- Works successfully with cross-functional project teams.
- Works independently toward generally defined objectives.
- Needs extensive understanding of business processes and the relationship between them.
- Needs extensive understanding of escalation processes.
- Complies with and enforces standard policies and procedures.
- Possesses and demonstrates organizational awareness.
- Generally, operates under deadlines and may be subject to heavy workloads.
- Ability to interface with all levels and across organizational lines.
- Experience in Data Center Operations in working with stakeholders across a range of functional domains (e.g., Store Development and Construction, Finance, Supply Chain, Store Operations, Human Resources, Merchandising & Marketing, Manufacturing, etc.).
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Other Skills, Abilities, and/or Training
The following qualities are required:
- Ability to pass drug test.
- Hands-on experience with business requirements gathering/analysis.
- Strong understanding of information processing principles and practices.
- Good knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Exceptional analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving abilities.
- Exceptional understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Superior written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent architecture and technical support documentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal and consultative skills.
- Ability to conduct research into emerging technologies and trends, standards, and products as required.
- Function independently and as part of a team under aggressive deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Exhibit interest and positive attitude toward all assigned work and strive for continued improvement.
- Able to put his/her hands-on experience to use and work as an individual contributor.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Familiarity with industry/technical terms and processes.
- Ability to work within strict time frames and resolute deadlines.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft® 365 Suite (Teams, SharePoint, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet Explorer and Outlook).
- Ability to work weekends, day or evening hours and work extended days on an occasional basis
Certificates, Licenses, and/or Registrations
This position does not require certifications or a license.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The associate is:
- Regularly required to do the following activities:
- Remain seated in a normal position for long periods.
- Use hands to finger, handle, and/or feel; the ability to type, pick, pinch with fingers, seize, hold, grasp or turn with hands, and perceive attributes of objects and materials, such as size, shape, temperature, or texture, by touching with fingertips.
- Perform continuous operation of a personal computer for four hours or more.
- Maintain balance while walking, standing, crouching, or running.
- Twist upper torso.
- Frequently required to walk about.
- Occasionally required to do the following activities:
- Climb stairs and/or ladders.
- Twist upper torso.
- Stoop, kneel, crouch, and/or crawl.
- Reach up and out with hands and arms.
- Lift to fifty (50) pounds and carry a distance of fifteen (15) feet.
- Push and/or pull up to ten (10) pounds a distance of ten (10) feet.
- Rarely required to do the following activities:
- Stand statically for long periods without a break.
- Lift up to one hundred (100) pounds and carry a distance of ten (10) feet.
- Push and/or pull up to one hundred (100) pounds a distance of ten (10) feet.
- Specific vision abilities required for this job include:
- Close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less).
- Distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more).
- Color vision and the ability to identify and distinguish colors.
- Peripheral vision.
- Depth perception and the ability to judge distances and spatial relationships.
- Adjustable focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those encountered while performing the essential functions of this job. The associate is regularly exposed to indoor conditions with a moderate noise level.
The ability to be successful while working unsupervised either remotely from home or another location in a distributed resource model vs. in a supervised office location with direct interaction to peers and leadership.
To perform this job successfully, the associate must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required:
Education and/or Experience
- Education (Minimum Needed): Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or Computer Technology (preferred. Equivalent training and business experience with an Associate degree may be substituted.
- Experience (Minimum Needed):
- Four or more years of progressively responsible experience in Information Technology application, systems, or call center management.
- Two (2) years’ experience managing direct reports
- Knowledge of applying technology solutions (software/hardware) to accommodate business needs.
- Knowledge of systems analysis techniques and methodologies including troubleshooting.
- Exposure to Cost/Benefit Analysis.
- Project planning, tracking, and implementation experience.