C-HS Graduate or Equivalent
0 - 10%
2020 North 13th StreetReading, PA 19604
The Meat Cutter is responsible for providing a high level of customer service and practicing safe food handling procedures. This position performs various cuts for meat items including, but not limited to: beef, chicken, pork and veal. The Meat cutter will also have stocking and merchandising responsibilities in both the fresh and frozen cases. The incumbent is also required to perform all tasks in a safe manner consistent with corporate policies and applicable laws.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The associate is responsible for the functions below, in addition to other duties as assigned:
1. Follows established department procedures for receiving and unloading incoming shipments, pricing the product and stocking cases to ensure quality, protection, accuracy and proper rotation of product in the cases and cooler.
2. Maintains a safe and clean working environment to ensure compliance with all safety and sanitation requirements as set forth by the company and mandated by state, federal and OSHA regulations.
3. Ensures compliance to local, state, and government weights and measures and labeling laws.
4. Greets and takes orders from customers.
5. Cuts, trays, and packages all of the required meat and seafood products required for the day.
6. Maintains proper safety practices and care while using all the cutting accessories available in the meat department; complies with the use of mesh gloves while using a knife.
7. Participates in pre-inventory preparation; includes back stock and assuring tags match products.
8. May be called upon to assist in other departments as needed.
To perform this job successfully, the associate must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required:
Education and/or Experience: High school diploma or general education degree (GED), plus two (2) years’ experience in a retail environment; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Language Skills: Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other associates. Ability to read, write, and speak English fluently.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Able to compute rate, ratio, and percent, and to draw, and interpret bar graphs.
Other Skills, Abilities, and/or Training The following qualities are required:
- Minimum eighteen (18) years of age
-Ability to pass drug test.
- Ability to properly and safely operation meat department equipment utilized in preparing meat and poultry.
- Committed to providing customer service that makes both internal and external customers. feel welcome, important, and appreciated.
- Ability to preserve confidentiality of information.
- Ability and willingness to move with purpose and a strong sense of urgency.
- Ability to work overtime on an occasional basis.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to organize and prioritize a variety of tasks/projects.
- Familiarity with industry/technical terms and processes, helpful.
- Ability to work within strict time frames and resolute deadlines.
- Typing speed of sixty (60) WPM.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft® Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access) computer programs.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, AND/OR REGISTRATIONS
- No certificates, licenses, and/or registrations are required for this position.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The associate is regularly required to do the following activities:
--Talk and hear; verbally express ideas and impart information or instructions.
– Use hands to finger, handle, and/or feel; the ability to type, pick, pinch with fingers, seize, hold, grasp or turn with hands, and perceive attributes of objects and materials, such as size, shape, temperature, or texture, by touching with fingertips.
– Stand dynamically for long periods without a break.
– Stand statically for long periods without a break
. – Maintain balance while walking, standing, crouching, or running.
– Will need to horizontally move racks of products weighing up to seventy (70) pounds, requiring a force up to twenty-five (25) pounds, for a distance up to fifty (50) feet for up to 8 hours.
– Push and/or pull up to sixty (60) pounds a distance of twenty (20) feet.
– Must be able to lift/carry products horizontally/vertically between twenty-five (25) to ninety (90) pounds, from four (4) inches to sixty (60) inches, a distance up to ten (10) feet.
Occasionally required to do the following activities:
– Stoop, kneel, crouch, and/or crawl.
– Twist upper torso.
– Reach up and out with hands and arms.
Rarely required to do the following activities:
– Remain seated in a normal position for long periods.
– Climb stairs and/or ladders.
Specific vision abilities required for this job include:
– Close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less).
– Peripheral vision.
– Adjustable focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those encountered while performing the essential functions of this job. The associate is regularly exposed to working inside a temperature-controlled area with a moderate noise level.
"Working for Weis Markets has been an overall amazing experience for me."
"Working as a manager, allows me to help train new associates to become the best they can be."
"What I love about working at Weis are the opportunities you're given to advance."
"Being a manager for Weis Markets has allowed me to grow as a leader, and an individual."
"Weis Markets opened the door for me and provided me with opportunities."
"I'm able to share my opinions about how to drive sales in my department and make it happen."
"Management has always been nice, cooperative and patient during training and daily work flow."
"Working at Weis has been a very positive experience. I feel valued and appreciated."
Weis Markets is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of actual or perceived age, sex, sexual orientation, race, color, creed, religion, familial status, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, disability, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Applicants with a disability may be entitled to a reasonable accommodation under terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the ways things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Weis Markets.