C-HS Graduate or Equivalent
10 - 20%
3261 Solomons Island RoadEdgewater, MD 21037
The Assistant Produce Manager provides leadership in Produce Department by directing and managing associate activities including training, orders raw product and supplies and implements merchandizing initiatives that promote sales, while meeting customer requirements and maximizing profits.
Supervises associates in Produce Department, which includes salad bar. In some stores also manages Floral Department. Specific number of associates depends upon store size.
- Manages department inventories by tracking weekly sales reports and orders product and supplies to meet customer requirements and maximize sales and profits.
- Schedules associates, oversees and assists with training, recognizes performance and delegates work assignments to effectively utilize talents and abilities while maximizing profits.
- Develops and implements localized merchandising plans, sets up and creates displays for new or seasonal items to drive sales. Develops and maintains communications with other departments and store manager in order to devise cross merchandising plans, to meet financial objectives.
- Prepares, maintains and tracks records concerning inventories to calculate gross monthly profits according to company guidelines.
- Follows established procedures for receiving merchandise including inspecting deliveries, pricing products and restocking cases to ensure freshness and quality, accuracy and rotation. Enforces and follows food and human safety laws and policies.
- Controls department expenses by improving operations and efficiencies, by controlling labor costs and by reducing losses due to shrinkage or damages.
- Maintains effective sanitation program. Keeps merchandise clean and fresh to meet health department regulations, pass sanitation inspections and meet company standards. Ensures that associates work and operate equipment safely, complying with OSHA requirements. Ensures compliance with local, state and government weights and measures laws.
- Focuses on continuously improving customer service and department functions. Implements changes to increase customer satisfaction, lower labor costs and maximize profits.
- Maintains accurate records on all important matters, including associate performance and discipline, sales plans, etc.
- Ensures smooth function of department and store by cooperating with co-workers and superiors. Responsible to continuously improve job performance.
- Also performs duties of staff as required.
This description represents a significant sampling of tasks performed, responsibilities and job knowledge required, however, it is not meant to be an exhaustive list.
High school education or equivalent with a minimum of at least 2 years experience as a Produce Clerk. Associate degree or a 4 year college degree in business or a related field desirable.
Demonstrated leadership, delegation, interpersonal and oral and written communication skills. Above average analytical skills to understand and interpret various reports. Some knowledge of computers. Ability to multi-task and attention to detail.
- Standing and walking
- Lifting and carrying (over 50 lbs)
- Sight or peripheral vision
- Bending, reaching and grasping
- Communications (both verbal & written)
- Operating equipment (compactor, baler, knives, jack, etc.)
- Some tolerance for stress
- Telephone usage
Works in normal store environment where there is limited physical discomfort, although goes into coolers. Will experience some dusty, dirty conditions. Interacts with customers and associates daily in fast paced environment.
"Working for Weis Markets has been an overall amazing experience for me."
"Working as a manager, allows me to help train new associates to become the best they can be."
"What I love about working at Weis are the opportunities you're given to advance."
"Being a manager for Weis Markets has allowed me to grow as a leader, and an individual."
"Weis Markets opened the door for me and provided me with opportunities."
"I'm able to share my opinions about how to drive sales in my department and make it happen."
"Management has always been nice, cooperative and patient during training and daily work flow."
"Working at Weis has been a very positive experience. I feel valued and appreciated."
Weis Markets is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of actual or perceived age, sex, sexual orientation, race, color, creed, religion, familial status, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, disability, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Applicants with a disability may be entitled to a reasonable accommodation under terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the ways things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Weis Markets.