C-HS Graduate or Equivalent
0 - 10%
1916 Lycoming Creek RoadWilliamsport, PA 17701
Assists Grocery Manager in providing leadership in the Grocery department by effectively training and supervising all Grocery associates. Reviews orders for all Grocery products and implements merchandising initiatives that promote sales while meeting customer demands and maximizing profits.
The associate is responsible for the functions below, in addition to other duties as assigned:
1. Assists Grocery Manager in overseeing all aspects of Grocery department operations. Performs duties of Grocery Manager in their absence. In the absence of store management, may assume complete responsibility for total store operations.
2. Promotes excellent customer relations by instilling positive customer focused behavior with associates. Smiles and greets customers, answers customer questions and helps resolve customer concerns promptly in a polite and professional manner. Focuses on continuous improvement in all areas of the department and makes changes to ensure progress.
3. Manages inventory levels and reviews orders to ensure product quantities meet customer demand. Maintains backroom organization and product storage within company guidelines. Oversees shelf replenishment efforts to ensure product availability for customers, with prioritization for weekly specials, seasonally and locally relevant items, and other high-velocity items.
4. Assists in training associates, provides coaching and feedback, evaluates work, recognizes and rewards performance and delegates work assignments to effectively utilize talents and abilities. Also plans and schedules the workloads for the overnight shift, if applicable. Utilizes the Learning Management System (LMS) for current and new associates.
5. Develops and implements merchandising plans. Communicates with other departments and store management to create attractive displays, utilizing cross-merchandising techniques, to meet sales and profit objectives. Attends and participates in store’s daily huddles.
6. Maintains backroom and receiving area security and organization by promoting 5S procedures Responsible for general sanitation in the department. Follows cleaning schedules and department guidelines to ensure that work areas, equipment, counters, display cases, etc. are well maintained, clean and meet all health and OSHA requirements. Disposes of trash properly.
7. Controls expenses including payroll within budgeted expectations. Minimizes damages and shrink through proper product handling and rotation to prevent unnecessary losses.
8. Ensures smooth function of department and store by cooperating with co-workers and superiors. Responsible to continuously improve job performance.
9. May assist with receiving, unloading, checking-in, breaking-down, and storing deliveries through operation of a power jack or hand jack (if properly trained – training provided).
10. May assist with baling cardboard or other related duties (if properly trained – training provided
11. Responsible for utilization of all company provided Personal Protected Equipment (PPE). Including but not limited to: cut resistant gloves, safety cutters, company sponsored footwear, etc.
12. May also be called upon to assist in other departments
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES Supervises all associates in the Grocery department. May assume total leadership of the building in absence of store management. Specific number of associates under supervision depends upon the store size and presence of store management.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS To perform this job successfully, the associate must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required:
Education and/or Experience High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required. Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in business related field desirable. Minimum 2 years’ experience in management in a retail/supermarket environment.
Language Skills Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Mathematical Skills Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Reasoning Ability Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variable in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Other Skills, Abilities, and/or Training The following qualities are required:
▪ Minimum age of 18 years old.
▪ Ability to pass drug test.
▪ Committed to providing customer service that makes both internal and external customers feel welcome, important, and appreciated.
▪ Ability to preserve confidentiality of information.
▪ Ability and willingness to move with purpose and a strong sense of urgency.
▪ Ability to work weekends on a frequent basis.
▪ Ability to work extended days on an occasional basis.
▪ Ability to work day or evening hours.
▪ Ability to work holidays.
▪ Ability to work overtime on an occasional basis.
▪ Accuracy and attention to detail.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met regularly to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The associate is:
▪ Regularly required to do the following activities:
▪ Walk- move about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work station to another.
▪ Balance, Stoop, kneel, crouch, and/or crawl.
▪ Climb stairs and/or ladders.
▪ Stand dynamically to perform a function and move to perform another.
▪ Stand statically in one place to perform a function without changing location.
▪ Reaching- Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction
▪ Lift up to fifty (50) pounds and carry a distance of twenty (20) feet
. ▪ Push and/or pull up to fifty (50) pounds a distance of twenty (20) feet.
▪ Talk and hear; verbally express ideas and impart information or instructions.
▪ Use hands to finger, grasp, and/or feel; the ability to pick, pinch with fingers, type, seize, hold, apply pressure, or turn with hands; and perceive attributes of objects and materials, such as size, shape, temperature, or texture, by touching with fingertips.
▪ Visual: ▪ Close- clear vision at 20 inches or less
▪ Distance- clear vision at 20 feet or more ▪ Color- ability to identify and distinguish colors
▪ Peripheral- ability to observe an area that can be seen up and down or to the left and right while eyes are fixed on a given point
▪ Depth- three-dimensional vision, ability to judge distances and spatial relationships.
▪ Adjust focus- ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus after looking at something at a closer or greater distance.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those encountered while performing the essential functions of this job. The associate is regularly exposed to indoor and outdoor conditions with a moderate noise level. The associate is subject to both environmental conditions, including temperature changes (extreme cold and/or extreme hot)
"Working for Weis Markets has been an overall amazing experience for me."
"Working as a manager, allows me to help train new associates to become the best they can be."
"What I love about working at Weis are the opportunities you're given to advance."
"Being a manager for Weis Markets has allowed me to grow as a leader, and an individual."
"Weis Markets opened the door for me and provided me with opportunities."
"I'm able to share my opinions about how to drive sales in my department and make it happen."
"Management has always been nice, cooperative and patient during training and daily work flow."
"Working at Weis has been a very positive experience. I feel valued and appreciated."
Weis Markets is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of actual or perceived age, sex, sexual orientation, race, color, creed, religion, familial status, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, disability, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Applicants with a disability may be entitled to a reasonable accommodation under terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the ways things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Weis Markets.